Skip to main content

13.07.2017

Today I started my mesocosm project. I tried to keep it as simple as possible:

  1. Firstly I took a 3 liter glass jar and washed it thoroughly.
  2. I placed a bit of gravel in the bottom of the jar. Just enough to cover the surface.
  3. I took soil from the garden and put it on top of the gravel. The soil was full of insects and dead leaves etc. I put enough soil in the jar to fill almost half of the jar. 
  4. I placed some moss and a bunch of flowers (which I picked from my garden with roots) in the soil. Maybe even a bit too many. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to how I put them in the jar.
  5. I took some water from my pond and put it in the jar. I hope I took enough.
  6. I closed the jar with a plastic lid.
  7. I placed the jar on a sunny window ledge.
My mesocosm project will last for a month at first and after that I will see whether I should continue the project or abandon it. I will make a blog post every week from now on and I will include pictures with every blog post. 

Here are the first pictures of my mesocosm:



Comments